After the success and global appeal of the 2014 and 2015 versions of the National Braai Tour, we are very excited and looking forward to 2016. Our simple aim is to take a group of proud and passionate South Africans (mostly) on a weeklong tour through beautiful parts of South Africa. During this week participants will join us to visit significant and interesting heritage sites, we’ll unite around fires, braai a few times per day and wave the South African flag.
There is a huge public demand for entries and participation in the tour and we literally have had 100’s of email and social media requests over the past few months from interested parties. The 2016 tour will feature 40 teams (as opposed to the 60 teams we had in 2015) thus space is limited and we will unfortunately not be able to accommodate all interested parties, both old and new. Please take your time to complete the application form and provide us with as much information as you can in order to increase your chances of a successful team entry.
If you need to know every minute detail of the tour before being able to enter, you’re probably not the right person for this adventure. Below however are the things we can share with you at this stage. If this looks like your cup of beer, complete the application form and good luck!
Saturday 10 September 2016 – Saturday 17 September 2016.
The tour will start in Cape Town on Saturday 10 September 2016.
The rest of route will be in South Africa. There will be reasonable distances of driving per day (our aim is 2 – 3 hours) and picturesque landscapes. The tour will finish somewhere in South Africa from where you can then make your own way back to anywhere else in the country in one day. If you need more specific information before you are willing to make the commitment to enter, you are probably not the right person to take part in the National Braai Tour. We might share the rest of the route with you later, we might keep it secret until the start of the actual tour.
You can only enter as a team of four.
Entry fee is R20 000 per team of four and needs to be paid in full to reserve your entry. Each team member change requested after confirmation of a successful entry will be charged at R2,500 admin fee per change. If for some reason your team cannot take part anymore and pull out after successfully entering, we will replace it with a team on our waiting list and it will be dealt with as 4 team member changes and you will receive a R10,000 refund [20,000 – (4 x 2,500)]. The last day for any such changes will be 1 June 2016.
Entry fee includes:
- Camping fees and entrance fees
- 2 Meals per day (usually breakfast and dinner, sometimes lunch)
- Braai gear (grids, tongs, potjies) – you keep this after the tour
- Wood and firelighters
- Utensils (knives, bowls, crockery and cutlery) – you keep this after the tour
- #braaitour goods which all your non #braaitour friends will be jealous of (e.g. caps, shirts, hoodies, vehicle stickers) – you keep this after the tour
- One proper South African flag per person
- Various other freebies and gifts
- All alcoholic drinks and soft drinks at the bar when the bar is open. We serve all the classics you expect to see at a braai. We do not serve French champagne and we do not serve papsak. We serve normal high quality South African alcohol and it’s included for free.
Our aim to to organise a tour where you only need to bring yourself, clothes and toiletries. In addition you as a team need your own vehicle, tent(s), mattresses and sleeping bags and pay for your own fuel and toll fees. Broadly speaking, we are providing everything else.
One vehicle per team
This is slightly different from past years so please read with care. Due to the pressure on the infrastructure of the beautiful heritage sites we visit during the tour, teams of four are limited to one vehicle per four persons. We think this means you as a team can spend more quality time together and will logically also save fuel and toll fees.
How the application and entry process works:
- Your team completes an application to enter (the form below).
- Please bear in mind that there are a vast number of applications that we need to review and you might not get any feedback from us for a few weeks.
- Successful applicants are notified via email and we provide them with banking details. Once this R20,000 entry fee is paid that team’s entry to the 2016 National Braai Tour is official.