Whilst visiting the Inyati rest camp in the Sabi Sands game reserve I prepared the recipe below on the braai. On that particular occasion the biltong and cream sauce was served with braaied Springbok fillet steaks, but you can just as successfully serve this sauce with normal beef steak. As I don’t have a particularly nice photo of the finished meal, I decided to rather post a picture of the lion cubs we saw later that day after having our meal of braaied Springbok steaks with biltong and cream sauce. The lions had Impala on the menu that day if I remember correctly, but again, posting a pic of their food is probably not family friendly either so here a pic of them having their after dinner drink.
Biltong and cream sauce – What you need
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tot butter
- 1 tot olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped, grated or blended biltong
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon beef stock (dry, not liquid stock)
- 1 cup fresh cream
Biltong and cream sauce – What to do
- Sauté the onion in the butter and oil for about 4 minutes.
- Add the biltong to the pan and let it sweat for a minute or 2.
- Add the salt & pepper and half of the cream and stir through.
- Sprinkle the beef stock over the contents of the pan and stir through.
- Add the rest of the cream, stir and let simmer whilst you braai the steaks until you are happy with the consistency of the sauce.
- Braai the steaks until medium rare and serve the sauce on the steak.