Approach this recipe as you would a braaibroodjie and braai over medium heat and slowly, turning often. The fat from the boerewors will make the pita sides crispy and full of taste. The chilli I used was a gift from Komatiepoort, but you can add any type of spicy chilli that you enjoy.
- 1 tot olive oil
- 1 punnet mushrooms of your choice, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 packet Jan Braai Boerewors, removed from the casings
- 1 tub plain cream cheese
- Chillis of your choice (I used pickled chillis)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4 Pita breads
- Butter to spread on top of the pitas
- Heat the oil in your pan on the fire and fry the chopped mushrooms until soft. Add the onions and fry for a few minutes.
- Next add the boerewors that is removed from the casing and fry until cooked and starts to get a bit crispy on the edges.
- Start to prep your pitas, gently cut them open with a sharp bread knife.
- Spread the inside with cream cheese, top with chillis and then the boerewors mixture.
- Sprinkle cheese over everything and close the pita. Spread butter on the outsides.
- Braai your pitas over medium heat, turning often, until the outsides are crispy and the cheese melted.
SHARE THIS RECIPE