Remember beans on toast? This is the big famous brother of that! Use leftover meat to add to the beans, bacon, or baked eggs! This dish is great for breakfast or any time of the day served with freshly fire toasted bread.
- olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped and crushed
- 1 sachet (50g) tomato paste
- left over braai meat (about 300 – 500g)
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tot paprika
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tin red kidney beans, drained
- 1 tin baked beans in tomato sauce
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tots Jan Braai chipotle sauce
- fresh bread – to serve
- Heat the oil in a big fireproof pan or in your potjie on the fire and fry the onion and pepper until soft.
- Add the garlic and tomato paste and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the coriander, cumin,paprika, salt and pepper and stir, making sure nothing sticks or burns. Shortly following with the wine to loosen things up a bit.
- Next add your kidney beans, baked beans and chopped tomatoes and mix everything together. Add some Jan Braai chipotle sauce for extra depth and flavour.
- Let this simmer for about 10 – 15 minutes and serve with fresh bread.
- If you want to add eggs to your beans mixture, carefully make 6 holes in the beans and break the eggs into the holes, add grated cheese over and let this bake for about 8 minutes until the white of the eggs is firm and cooked.
- Serve on freshly toasted bread.
SHARE THIS RECIPE