This is a combination between a Spanish omelet and Italian frittata, I added some traditional South African goodness, boerewors!
- 1 red pepper
- 1 packet (about 500g) good quality boerewors
- 1 red onion, chopped roughly
- 2 medium sized potatoes, pre cooked to soft and firm
- olive oil
- 4 – 6 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1 tot paprika
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Place the red pepper directly into the flames and coals in order to burn the skin. Once the outside is black, place the red pepper into a plastic bag so it can steam and cool down.
- Braai the boerewors until 60% done over hot coals in a hinged grid over the fire.
- Remove the skins from the red pepper and chop into blocks, also chop the boerewors and potato into smaller, bite size pieces.
- Place the oil and butter in your fire proof pan over the fire and fry the onion and potato blocks on your braai fire until soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the boerewors and peppers.
- Whisk the eggs together and pour over the boerewors mixture. Let this cook over medium heat so that the egg can start to set.
- Add the paprika and cheese and bake on the fire again, use the lid of your potjie with 2 or 3 coals on top to cook the eggs from the top also.
- Serve with fresh roosterkoek or toasted bread from your fire.
SHARE THIS RECIPE