- 1 whole beef tongue (the packaging will most likely say corned/pickled beef tongue)
- salt and pepper
- 125 ml salted butter
- olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- fresh thyme
- 1 kg White bread flour
- 625 ml water (2 ½ cups)
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 1 tot Salt
- 1 tot sugar
- 125g butter
- Fresh tomato slices
- Fresh butter lettuce
- Jan Braai Prego Sauce
- Make the roosterkoek: Combine the salt and flour and yeast. Melt the butter and set aside to cool slightly. Add the water to the flour and mix and knead until the dough is smooth and glossy. Slowly add the butter to the dough and mix until fully combined.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and wrap it. Leave it to prove until it doubles in size. Overnight in the fridge is great if you have the time.
- Knock down and use your hands to form the roosterkoek, oiling your hands works to keep the dough from sticking to your hands. Prove until doubled in size and braai on a medium high heat.
- Slice the tongue into portions and season with salt and pepper. Braai the tongue steaks over hot coals for about 4 – 6 minutes.
- In a pan on the side, heat the butter, garlic and thyme together and set aside to slightly cool.
- Let the steaks rest in this pan with butter while you get all your other ingredients ready.
- Serve the tongue inside the roosterkoek with a slice of tomato, lettuce and a generous amount of Jan Braai Prego sauce.
SHARE THIS RECIPE