WHAT YOU NEED:
- 500 g of beef filet
- 2 tots salt
- 2 tots sugar
- 125 ml butter
- fresh rosemary and thyme
- 1 teaspoon worcester sauce
FOR THE SALSA:
- 1 red pepper
- 1 red onion
- ½ tot Jan Braai Chipotle sauce
- ½ tot french style mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- fresh thyme
- spekboom leaves
- small flowers
- Make a big fire, you need very hot coals for this recipe. Throw your red pepper and red onion straight into the coals until they are black and soft. Remove from the fire and let it cool down, before removing all the outer black parts. Use a sharp knife and cut the pepper and onion into small blocks.
- Mix the sugar and salt together. Season and rub your beef filet all over and let this rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, use paper towel and gently wipe most of the sugar and salt mixture off the meat. Cut the filet into 4 smaller pieces.
- Melt the butter in a pan with the fresh thyme and rosemary and place the pieces of filet into the pan with melted butter making sure they are covered all over.
- Braai the filet pieces over very hot coals on all sides for about 3 minutes on each side. You want it to be charred and braaied, but just on the inside. Remove from the fire and let this rest properly for about 10 minutes.
- While this is resting, mix the pepper, onion and mayonnaise together and season with salt and pepper.
- Use your sharpest knife and cut the steak into very small pieces of about 1 cm blocks. Season with salt, pepper, olive oil, Jan Braai chipotle sauce and a little bit of Worcester Sauce.
- Use a cookie cutter and place a layer of your red pepper and onion, top with a layer of the beef filet blocks.
- Garnish the dish with spekboom and small flowers. Take a bunch of fresh thyme, let the edge catch fire in your braai, place this smoking thyme on your plate next to the filet, cover with a bowl that is big enough and let the smoke add more flavour to your dish.
SHARE THIS RECIPE