Your serve your Braaied Tomato Soup with a Three Cheese Braaibroodjie.
- 3 tots olive oil
- 2 red onions, chopped roughly
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled. (no need to chop)
- 1kg of tomatoes , halved or quartered (you can use different types tomatoes for colours and extra taste)
- Salt & pepper
- 250 ml white wine
- 250 ml good quality chicken stock
- 2 tots balsamic vinegar
- Few sprigs of fresh herbs like basil, oregano and parsley
What you need for the 3 cheese braaibroodjie:
- Sliced white bread
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Grated mozzarella cheese
- Grated parmesan/pecorino cheese
- Place the olive oil, onion, garlic and tomatoes in your potjie or fire proof pan and season with salt and pepper. Place the pan onto the fire on very high heat and let the tomatoes start to cook and roast.
- As soon as the ingredients start to stick to the bottom of the pan add the white wine, stock and balsamic vinegar. Let this simmer for a few minutes and remove from the heat.
- Add your fresh herbs, and blend the soup with a blender or hand mixer until smooth. Taste the soup and season with extra salt, pepper and a little bit of sugar if needed.
Make the cheese braaibroodjie:
- Spread butter on the outside of the sliced bread and place a mixture of all three cheeses on the bread.
- Braai the braaibroodjies in a closed hinged grid over medium hot coals.
- Remember, a braaibroodjie is a draaibroodjie, so turn often until all the cheese is melted and the outsides are golden brown.
SHARE THIS RECIPE