Looks like a pizza, made on a wood fire, more of a frittata and a real breakfast winner! This is not really a pizza and probably closer to an Italian frittata, but the name is catchy and from a distance it looks like a pizza. The quantities here make both shopping and execution of the recipe easy. As you might imagine, when you’ve done it once, this is a recipe you can use as a baseline for your own further experimentation with ingredients. Feeds 6.
- 1 packet (200 g) bacon (chopped)
- 2 bell peppers (any combination of green, yellow or red, seeded and chopped)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 large tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tot chutney
- 6 eggs (beaten)
- 1 tot milk
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- roughly 200 g Cheddar cheese (grated)
- fire-toasted bread or roosterkoek (to serve)
- In a pan on the fire, fry the bacon pieces for a few minutes and then add the chopped bell peppers and onion. Fry all of these together on high heat until things start to brown. Add some oil or butter if things look like they might burn before they get to the golden-brown goal.
- Now add the tomatoes and chutney and toss everything around for another few minutes until your mixture is well and truly stir-fried.
- In rapid succession, add all of the eggs and milk, as well as the salt, pepper and oregano to the pan. Mix everything together so the egg mixture can fill the gaps between the rest of the ingredients and form a nice layer on top.
- When things are evened out to your liking, top the eggs with all of the cheese and then close the pan with tight-fitting tinfoil. Let the pan stand over gentle heat for a few minutes until the egg is cooked and the cheese melted.
- Serve with fire-toasted bread or freshly baked roosterkoek.
The bacon can be swapped or supplemented with finely chopped leftover braai meat. On the cheesy side, the Cheddar cheese can be supplemented or swapped with crumbled feta cheese.
SHARE THIS RECIPE