Butter chicken is a great Indian recipe with a rich sauce and you serve with naan bread, here we braai the chicken breasts and top the burger with the sauce and serve in a burger bun!
For the sauce:
- 1 tot olive oil
- 1 tot butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped and crushed
- freshly grated ginger, equal amount to the chopped garlic
- 2 tots Butter Chicken Curry Spice
- 1 sachet (50g) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250 ml) cream
- flaked almonds, roasted (for serving)
- fresh coriander (for serving)
- Place your fireproof pan or potjie on the fire and heat the oil and butter. Add the onions and fry for about 2 minutes until soft an translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger and butter chicken spice and fry for 1 minute.
- Next add the tomato paste and cream, stir everything well and let this simmer for 10 minutes on low heat so the sauce can thicken.
- Pack the chicken breast fillets on a chopping board and cover with cling wrap. Now pound the thick side of each piece of meat with a meat mallet, wine bottle, rolling pin, side of a meat cleaver or any other item of sufficient weight and size. You want the meat to relax so that the whole fillet is more uniform in thickness. This step will make the meat easier to braai, better-looking on your burger and more tender to bite. While the cling wrap will not aid in any of these goals, nor influence the final taste of the burger, it will prevent small pieces of chicken meat flying all over the place.
- Give each chicken fillet a light coating of olive oil. Either brush each fillet with oil or pour a bit of oil onto them and toss them around until they all are coated. Also season the meat with salt and pepper, or your favourite braai salt.
- Braai the meat for about 6–10 minutes on hot coals until it is done. The nice thing about chicken breast fillets is that you can actually see the meat colour changing from raw to ready on the braai. Take the meat off the fire when ready.
- Oil the insides of the cut rolls and toast on the grid, taking care not to over-toast (burn) them.
- Build the burger, roll, butter chicken sauce, chicken breast, sauce, flaked almonds, fresh coriander, roll.
SHARE THIS RECIPE