For the dough:
- 1 cup (250ml) cake flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 1/2 cup luk warm water
For the toppings:
- grated cheese
- tin of chopped tomatoes
- sliced mushrooms
- sliced onions
- salami slices
- feta cheese, crumbled
- First make your base: Mix the flour, sugar, salt and yeast together.
- Add the water and knead on a floured surface until it comes together into a ball and starts to knead the dough for a few minutes.
- Add olive oil to the bottom of your potjie, add enough so the dough wont stick or burn
- Roll the dough into a flat circle big enough to fit into the potjie and rise a little bit to the edges.
- Place the lid on the potjie and bake the dough on the fire over very mild coals for about 15 minutes. Place a few coals on the lid, so that it gets baked from both ends.
- Once the base looks cooked and crispy on the edges, add your toppings.
- Place the potjie back on the fire, this time only adding coals on top of the lid, almost no heat at the bottom. You want all the cheese and other ingredients to get direct heat and melt.
- Take the potjie off the fire once you are happy with your toppings. Carefully slide the base out of the potjie, this is easier than you think!
- Cut into slices and serve with fresh basil
SHARE THIS RECIPE