This recipe has the best of all the worlds. Meat, potatoes, mushrooms and lots of flavour!. Use your cast iron skillet to get the best end result. But your flat bottom no10 potjie will work just as great.
- 1 tot butter
- 1 tot olive oil
- 1 onion, cut into quarters
- 4 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 punnet (250 g) portabalinni mushrooms
- 500 g baby potatoes, cooked softly and halved
For the steak:
- 1 rump steak of about 1kg
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1 tot freshly ground coffee
- 2 tots brandy
- Fresh thyme
- Place your pan or potjie on the fire and add the oil and butter.
- Next add your mushrooms and onion and fry it until it becomes soft. Add the whole garlic cloves and baby potatoes and let everything fry until cooked and brown.
- In the meantime, mix all the spices, salt and pepper together and season your steak generously on both sides. Braai your steak over hot coals until medium rare. You will add the steak to the pan again, so rather undercook the steak.
- Make a space for the steak in the pan. Place the steak into the pan with all the other ingredients, pour the brandy over and let this flambe for a few seconds. Add the fresh thyme and season with extra salt and pepper if you think it is needed. Remove steak from the pan, cut into strips and add back into the pan and serve to your guests as is.
SHARE THIS RECIPE