Ingredients (makes 4 burgers)
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- 4 hamburger rolls
- 1 cup white bread or cake flour
- 1 egg (beaten)
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups corn flake crumbs (this is a commercial product but you can also make it by abusing the version you eat for breakfast until it’s a finer crumb)
- butter or olive oil
- iceberg lettuce (shredded)
- 2 tomatoes (sliced)
- 120 g Cheddar cheese (sliced or grated)
- ½ cup mayonnaise (creamy)
- Pack the chicken breast fillets on a chopping board and cover with cling wrap. Now pound the thick side of each piece of meat with a meat mallet, wine bottle, rolling pin, side of a meat cleaver or any other item of sufficient weight and size. You want the meat to relax so that the whole fillet is more uniform in thickness. This step will make the meat easier to braai, better-looking on your burger and more tender to bite. While the cling wrap will not aid in any of these goals, nor influence the final taste of the burger, it will prevent small pieces of chicken meat flying all over the place. If you’re trying to use less plastic in your house and don’t have cling wrap, don’t perform this step inside the kitchen. Go and stand in the garden where small pieces of chicken meat can freely roam!
- Find two flat bowls – one for the flour and one for the beaten egg. Season the egg with salt and pepper, then dip each chicken breast into your bowl of flour and then into the egg bowl. Be sure to cover all sides of the meat.
- Now cover the dipped chicken breasts with the corn flake crumbs, making sure the entire breast is coated.
- Heat some oil or butter in your fireproof pan on the fire, making sure that the pan heat is medium. You want to cook the chicken, but not burn it, so a medium temperature is important.
- Braai the chicken fillets in the pan, turning often until they are brown and crispy all over and cooked inside.
- Butter or oil the insides of the cut rolls and toast on the grid, taking care not to over-toast (burn) them.
- Assemble the burger: Roll, lettuce, tomato, chicken, cheese, and mayonnaise on the top roll.
SHARE THIS RECIPE