Fillet is very tender and lean and is best served straight from the braai with a rich sauce full of flavour.
- 1 whole fillet steak
- salt and pepper
For the sauce:
- 1 punnet brown mushrooms
- 1 punnet button mushrooms
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed and chopped)
- plain cream cheese (1 tub will be enough)
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 1 block (about 100g) blue cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in your fire proof pan and fry the onion and mushrooms until soft and tender.
- Add the garlic and fry for another minute. Now add the cream, cream cheese and blue cheese and let this gently simmer until thick and creamy. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Remove the steak from the packaging. Rinse well under cold running water and pat dry with kitchen paper towel. Cut the steak into four equal pieces and season well with salt and pepper. You will notice that 1 kg of fillet steak divides into four neat portions of fillet medallions – that’s why I designed the recipe like this, to make it easy for you.
- Now you can braai your steak over very hot coals for about 8 to 10 minutes. Make sure you braai the fillets on all sides. A fillet medallion has 4 to 6 sides and all of them need to face the coals at some time.
- Serve the steak medallions with your creamy mushroom sauce poured over.
SHARE THIS RECIPE