- 1 or 2 small sized whole fish that will fit into your no.10 potjie (cleaned and gutted)
- 1 lemon (sliced)
- Fresh herbs like dill
- 1 bag coarse salt (the type you use with your dishwasher is fine)
- Make sure your fish is cleaned on the inside and most of the scales are removed.
- Place the bag of salt into the potjie and add a bit of water (not more that 125ml) just enough to make sure all the salt is wet. It should fee like wet beach sand.
- Place slices of lemon and fresh herbs into the cavity of the fish and place into the potjie.
- Make sure the fish is covered with salt all over to form a crust at the bottom and top.
- Place your potjie on hot coals and place a lot of heat and coals on top of the potjie.
- Let this cook for 20 minutes and remove from the fire.
- Carefully remove the fish from the salt crust by breaking it open and taking it out.
- Serve with fresh lemon and freshly ground pepper
- Put the method for the recipe here
- As a numbered list for the steps
Extra non-method related info here (if applicable)…
SHARE THIS RECIPE