This will probably become one of your favourite go-to recipes. Whether you are craving it, want to impress guests, or are on a road trip and want to do a quick scenic and hassle-free braai, this is a nice trick to have up your sleeve. I first made this on the Jan Braai vir Erfenis television show a few years ago and it went cult overnight. In those first few weeks of the Jan Braai Pizza, many supermarkets sold out of ready-made pizzas on a daily basis, such was the demand. The possibilities with toppings are endless and you can use whatever your favourite off-the-shelf pizzas are. I usually go for two store-bought pizzas with different toppings and then manually add some extra feta cheese before going to the fire. Enjoy! Feeds 2–4.
- 2 store-bought pizzas (raw but prepared, with the toppings of your choice)
- something extra (including but not limited to feta cheese, garlic, mushrooms, capers, olives, roasted vegetables or sundried tomatoes)
- a hinged grid
- Light a fire and wait till the coals are the same heat that you would braai your braaibroodjies on – in other words, medium heat.
- Place the two pizzas on top of each other with the fillings facing to the inside. If you want to add anything extra, do so beforehand.
- Place the pizza sandwich in your hinged grid, close the grid tightly, and braai the pizza, turning it often, the same as you would do with a braaibroodjie. You want the outside to be toasted and crispy and the cheese on the inside to be completely melted.
- Once you have achieved the perfect pizza, take it off the grid, slide it onto a wooden board and cut into slices. Serve immediately.
SHARE THIS RECIPE