For the Bolognese:
- 2 tots olive oil
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 1 celery stick (finely chopped)
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 1 packet (200g) smoked streaky bacon (diced)
- ½ tot mixed dried herbs (or 1 tot finely chopped fresh herbs like basil, thyme and parsley)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tot bovril
- 1 teaspoon coco powder
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 sachet tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tot lemon juice
- ½ cup cream (optional)
For the lasagne sheets:
- 1 cup flour, plus additional for dusting
- 1 large egg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon water as needed
- Fresh mozzarella cheese or grated white cheddar
- Fresh basil
- Parmesan cheese
- Heat your oil in your potjie and fry the onion, celery and carrot until soft and translucent. Add the bacon and fry until cooked.
- Add the mince, season with salt pepper herbs, bovril and coco powder and let this fry until cooked and brown.
- Add the tomato paste and let this fry for a few minutes before adding the red wine and tin of tomatoes.
- Taste and season with sugar and lemon juice to adjust the taste. Let this gently simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile make your lasagne sheets. Mix the egg en flour together and form a dough with your hands. Divide the ball into 8 and use your rolling pin and strong muscles to roll out 8 very flat and thin sheets of lasagna pasta.
- Place a potjie on the fire with boiling water and cook the lasagne sheets in the boiling water for 3 – 4 minutes until soft and cooked.
- Now build your lasagne: Start with a layer of white sauce at the bottom, top with cheese and then a layer of lasagne sheet. Top the sheet with bolognese, then again white sauce, cheese and repeat with a layer of lasagne sheet. You can make 2 portions with the 4 layers of sheets.
- End with a layer of white sauce and cheese and now bake this with the lid on top for about 30 minutes until everything is cooked through and the cheese melted.
- Serve with fresh basil and olive oil.
SHARE THIS RECIPE