FOR THE BURGER
- 500 g lean beef mince (or 4 high-quality hamburger patties)
- 4 hamburger rolls
- butter or olive oil
- 2 tomatoes (sliced)
- 1 onion (sliced)
FOR THE MUSTARD SAUCE
- 1 tot butter
- 1 tot white bread or cake flour
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tots Maille Dijon mustard
- 2 tots Maille wholegrain mustard
- 1 tot capers
- salt and pepper
- Convert the 500 g lean beef mince into four equally sized, 100% pure-beef patties. Pure mince binds perfectly for a great patty – don’t add anything like onion, breadcrumbs, egg, spices, salt or pepper. Your two recently washed hands are entirely capable of forming patties from mince but a patty press makes the job even easier.
- Make the sauce: In a pan or pot, melt the butter and then add the flour. Mix the two vigorously and as it forms a paste, start adding the wine. Continue stirring vigorously until all the wine is in. Now add the milk bit by bit, continuously stirring. Once all the milk is in, add the mustard and capers, and stir. Sample the sauce, and add salt and pepper to taste. How you want to play this is to let the sauce simmer very gently while you braai the patties, and until you are happy with the consistency.
- Braai the patties in a grid over very hot coals. Aim for 8 minutes’ braai time in total, only turning once. To avoid the patties getting stuck to the grid, you can use a combination of the following tactics: Use a grid with thicker rods; spray the grid with non-stick spray; gently lay the patties onto the grid so that you’re not squeezing them into the grid; braai over very hot coals so that the patties seal before sinking into the grid; move the patties slightly with your braai tongs or spatula just as they start to braai and seal, so that ever-so-slightly braaied meat (as opposed to completely raw meat) touches the grid. As the meat cooks, it naturally starts loosening from the grid. Now, only turn the patties once and do that gently.
- Butter or oil the insides of the cut rolls and toast on the grid, taking care not to over-toast (burn) them.
- Assemble the burger: Roll, lettuce, tomato, onion, patty, mustard sauce, roll.
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Add recipe info here…
- Add ingredients here
- as a bulleted list
- Put the method for the recipe here
- As a numbered list for the steps
Extra non-method related info here (if applicable)…
SHARE THIS RECIPE