Braaing marshmallows on skewers over some gentle heat is nothing new. I believe it’s vital to the braai development of the youth that they do this often, as it teaches them all the fundamentals on how to braai the more tricky items, like – case in point – braaibroodjies, and things like chicken. Gentle heat and turn often. You need the insides cooked before the outside is burnt.
So we know braaied marshmallows are a winner. And I have championed the chocolate braaibroodjie as a dessert of connoisseurs for a few years now. It logically follows that the Marshmallow and Chocolate Braaibroodjie not only works, but works very well. It’s a relatively easy braaibroodjie to braai because both marshmallow and chocolate are quite happy to melt quickly, so you’re quite likely to have the insides melted by the time the outsides are golden brown. And the bonus: constructing them is very straightforward as well when the crowd is baying for something sweet after a great meal.
Ingredients (makes 6)
- 12 bread slices
- 1 packet (150 g) marshmallows
- 2 slabs (100 g each) chocolate of your choice (chopped roughly)
- Cut the marshmallows in half and roughly chop the chocolate.
- Build the braaibroodjies: Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread (these sides will be outward-facing in the assembled braaibroodjie). Pack half these slices buttered-side down and layer with marshmallow and chocolate. Close the braaibroodjies with the remaining bread slices, buttered sides facing upwards.
- ‘Braaibroodjies is draaibroodjies’. Braaibroodjies should be turned often and are braaied in a closed, hinged grid. If you don’t have one, buy one – preferably with adjustable heights to compress each unit perfectly. You want medium-paced, gentle heat and the grid should be relatively high. Your aim is for the chocolate melted and the marshmallows puffed and melted by the time the outsides are golden brown. Slightly opening and closing your hinged grid a few times after the first few turns of the braai process helps the braaibroodjies not to get stuck to the grid.
- Once done, slice each braaibroodjie in half. Generally, I believe that the correct way to slice braaibroodjies is diagonally and the correct time to serve is immediately.
SHARE THIS RECIPE