This recipe is based on the classis Toad in a Hole recipe, but I used good South African boerewors and ingredients to make is more local and lekker.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1 packet good quality boerewors
- 1 red onion, chopped
- fresh herbs like thyme and rosemary
- Mix together the milk, flour and eggs and season with salt and pepper
- Braai the boerewors over hot coals until 60% cooked in your hnged grid on the fire.
- Fry the onions in your fireproof pan on the fire, add the boerewors and fresh herbs.
- Pour the batter over the boerewors and move the pan to more mild and medium heat. Place the lid of your potjie on top with 3 or 3 coals to also bake it gently from the top.
- Once the batter is cooked through, about 12 – 15 minutes, remove from the fire and let it cool down and serve in slices to your guests.
SHARE THIS RECIPE