Maize meal is super versatile and you can transform your ordinary pap into this amazing snack or starter for your guests at your next braai.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup maize meal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tot butter
- Black pepper
- Few sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup cheese, grated
For the Sauce:
- 1 cup french style mayonnaise
- 1 tot paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- Stir the maize meal and water together in a pot to mix well. Add the salt and let it simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes until cooked.
- Add the butter, black pepper, thyme and cheese and mix well into the cooked pap
- Prepare a baking sheet with cooking spray or olive oil and place the cooked pap mixture into the baking sheet. Press it down firmly and evenly with the back of a spoon or your recently washed hands, to cover the pan. Leave to set for about 20 -30 minutes.
- Once the pap in the baking sheet has set, tip it over onto a surface and slice into strips.
- Place the pap strips onto your closed hinged grid and braai over warm coals until golden, crispy and brown.
- Mix all the ingredients together for the sauce and serve with the pap chips
SHARE THIS RECIPE