The mieliepap adds a great crunch and texture to this recipe. You are welcome to use any type of firm white fish, even left over snoek from your braai can work.
- 500 g fresh fish
- 3 spring onions
- 1 tot fresh parsley, chopped
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 4 potatoes, cooked and mashed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup maize meal
For the sauce:
- 250 ml french style mayonnaise
- 3 medium size dill gherkins, chopped
- 1 tot chives, chopped
- Season your fish with salt and pepper and braai over medium heat for 8 – 10 minutes until the fish is cooked and flaky. In a pot, cook the potatoes, leaving the skins on, until very soft
- Let the fish cool down while you mash your potatoes and season it with salt and pepper.
- Flake the fish and add to the mash potatoes. Add the parsley, lemon juice and zest and mix well to combine with a wooden spoon. Taste again to see if you should add more salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle a clean surface with your maize meal and place a scoop of the potato and fish mixture on the surface. No dust the tops of these potato scoops with more maize meal.
- Use your spatula to flatten the fish cakes and grill them over flames on your fire on your cast iron plate in a bit of oil over medium heat until the maize meal is brown and crunchy.
- Mix all the ingredients together for the sauce and serve the fish cakes with the sauce.
SHARE THIS RECIPE