The great thing about the humble braaibroodjie is you can do anything with it! Whatever you can think of can work on a pizza can work just as great on a braaibroodjie! You can do it!
- 1 tot olive oil
- 500 g Denny mushrooms of your choice (we used portabello and white button mushrooms)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tub (250g) full fat cream cheese
- 1 block (240/300g) mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 16 slices of white toaster bread
- Butter to spread on the bread
- Roughly chop your mushrooms. Heat the oil in a pan on the fire. Fry the mushrooms until soft, add the garlic and pepper and fry for another minute.
- Butter your slices of bread on the outside. Now spread 8 slices on the inside with a generous helping of cream cheese.
- Top the cream cheese with your mushrooms and then with the grated cheese. Cover with another slice of bread.
- Place the braaibroodjies in a hinged grid and braai over medium coals, turning often to make sure the cheese melts and the outsides are nice and toasted.
- Serve immediately
SHARE THIS RECIPE