Mushrooms are seen as the meat of the vegetarian world. It has a lot of nutritional value and can be used in a million different ways, because of its versatility. In this recipe, the mushrooms are the hero, and the sauce brings out the umami flavours in the mushrooms. It is great served as a starter, or part of your main meal.
- Metal skewers or bamboo skewers (if you are using bamboo skewers, soak it in water for 15 minutes before)
- 3 punnets of mixed fresh mushrooms (white button, portabelini, big brown)
- 1 red onion, quatered
- 125 ml tomato sauce
- 2 tots soya sauce
- 2 tots golden syrup
- Salt and pepper
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Fresh thyme
- Carefully arrange the mushrooms on your skewers, alternating with different types of mushrooms for extra taste and it will also look awesome on your skewers. You can leave some whole, chop in half, whatever works the best.
- Mix the tomato sauce ,soya sauce and syrup together.
- Place the mushroom skewers on your braai over hot coals, once they start to caramalise, change shape and colour, brush them with your basting sauce on all sides. Braai for another few minutes
- Place the thyme leaves on top of the grid for the last few minutes for extra flavour. Season the skewers with salt and pepper.
- Once the mushrooms are basted, braaied on all sides and cooked they are ready to serve to your guests. Garnish with fresh lemon juice and extra thyme.
SHARE THIS RECIPE