In life, ice cream always make things better. In the case of mustard-flavoured ice cream, it even improves braaied steak! This is for a number of reasons. Firstly, it sounds cool and it looks amazing in photos. But then there are also the fundamental reasons: the core ingredients of mustard ice cream all go well with steak; namely, eggs, cream and mustard. We’ve all had those with steak hundreds of times – here they’re just converted into ice cream format. Feeds 4.
- 4 T-bone steaks
- salt and pepper
FOR THE ICE CREAM
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 vanilla pods
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 tbs wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- digital instant-read food thermometer
- ice cream machine
- If still in its natural state inside the eggshells, separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. For this recipe, we only need the yolks.
- Now mix the egg yolks and sugar together until smooth.
- Mix the cream, milk and vanilla together in a pot and heat over medium heat. You want this mixture to be warm but don’t let it boil.
- Now add a little bit of the warm cream and milk mixture to the egg yolk mixture and mix well. Add more of the warm mixture, bit by bit, not all at once, stirring all the time. If you add all of the warm milk and cream mixture to the egg mixture at the same time, the eggs will cook and you don’t want that.
- Once all the milk and cream is added to the eggs and sugar, and everything is mixed thoroughly, place the entire mixture back into the pot again and heat over medium heat while stirring all the time until the mixture reaches a point of 80 °C. Use a digital instant-read food thermometer to get this part right.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the mustard and the salt. Mix well and now let the pot stand somewhere safe until it cools down to room temperature.
- Once at room temperature, place the mixture in a fridge until it is as cold as everything else in your fridge.
- Once the mixture is completely cooled down in your fridge, pour it into your ice cream machine and let it churn for 1 hour until it’s frozen and become ice cream.
- Spice the steaks with salt and pepper and braai them over very hot coals for 8 minutes in total.
- Serve each steak warm from the fire with a ball of mustard ice cream on top.
SHARE THIS RECIPE