There might be better places than Mozambique to get quality Peri-Peri sauce, but them I am not aware of them. Mozambique is of course pretty far when you happen to be touring Europe and want a braaied Prego Steak Roll. This is what I did:
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (Some recipes call for paprika powder. Paprika is another name for what we call Red Pepper, so I used a fresh one).
- 2 Chilies (read “other comments” below)
- 2 Large cloves of garlic
- 1 Lemon
- Olive Oil
- Chop the pepper, chillies and garlic into a bowl and squeeze the juice of the lemon onto it.
- Use a food processor or hand held blender and puree the above.
- Add oil and mix with a spoon.
- Take care when visiting the bathroom after chopping chilies.
- “Two chillies” is a relative concept. After you put the hand held blender to the mixture, and all the pips are chopped and blended into the sauce, it gives the burn you are looking for. If it’s not enough, add another chili.
- When squeezing out the juice of the lemon, make sure the pips don’t join the party.
- You can add as much oil as you wish. Sunflower oil will also work.
- This sauce will also go very well with braaied Chicken, and with braaied white Fish.
- Marinade the steaks in some of the sauce. Heat the rest of the sauce before adding it to your braaied steak and roll.
- The sauce is even better the next day.
SHARE THIS RECIPE