You start by braaiing the skilpadjies over very hot coals, to caramalise the fat. Then you prepare your peri peri sauce. Serve it with toasted bread to mop up the sauce, peri-peri skilpadjies can be enjoyed as a meal on their own for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Alternatively, serve them with rice in starter portions as part of a more expansive braaied meal. The peri-peri sauce recipe as given below can also be used with prawns, steak, fish or chicken.
- About 6 skilpadjies
- ½ cup oil
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped and crushed
- 1 tot paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- A few fresh red chillies, chopped finely
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup vinegar
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Make a big fire and start by braaiing the skilpadjies over very hot coals until medium done. They will still cook a bit in the pan so do not overcook them.
- Using a fireproof pan or cast-iron pot, heat the oil.
- Add garlic, paprika, chilli powder, salt, fresh chilli and vinegar and let this simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the skilpadjies, then fry over high heat for about 5–7 minutes until they start to brown on all sides.
- Turn the skilpadjies a few times while in the sauce simmering and drizzle the lemon juice all over the skilpadjies.
- Serve straight from the pan or pot preferably with bread toasted over the coals.
SHARE THIS RECIPE