One of my favourite cocktails is a Pina colada. The base of this cocktail is then inspired and used in this recipe. Serve it with your own home made Pina colada cocktail at your next braai.
For the burgers:
- 4 burger rolls
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled and sliced into rings
- 4 chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 packet streaky bacon
For the sauce:
- 1 tot olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 5cm of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 1 cup fresh pineapple juice
- 1 shot dark rum
- Use cling film and a heavy object like a wine bottle to flatten your chicken breasts. Cover the chicken breast with the cling film and start hitting the meat gently, making sure they are even and the same thickness all over.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, or your favourite braai spice and braai over medium coals for about 12 minutes until cooked.
- On the side, braai your bacon in your grid until crispy. Also place the fresh pineapple rings on the grid for a few minutes until lightly charred.
- While your chicken is on the braai, start making your sauce, heat the oil in your pan. Fry the garlic and ginger for 1 minute. Add the coconut milk, juice and rum. Let this simmer and reduce until your chicken is ready.
- Build your burger by starting with lettuce, then tomato, then bacon, pineapple, chicken and lastly generously pour over your Pina colada sauce.
SHARE THIS RECIPE