Pork neck steaks are a great choice for the braai as they are generally quite tender and have fantastic marbling, with the small bits of fat keeping the meat juicy during the braai while at the same time, imparting flavour to the meat.
Your first choice for meat here is pork neck steaks and not pork neck chops, as the latter have a piece of bone in them. If you can’t find pork neck steaks, go for deboned pork loin chops/steaks. Failing that, debone some yourself by simply cutting the bones out of the steaks.
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup 125 ml) soya sauce
- 2 tots teriyaki sauce
- 2 tots ponzu sauce
- 1 tot mirren
- 1 tot sake
- 1 tot rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chinese five spice
For the burger:
- 4 pork neck steaks
- 4 burger rolls
- olive oil or butter for the rolls
- cabbage, shredded (to serve)
- Braai the meat over hot coals for about 10–15 minutes until done. During this time, you can also sprinkle or grind a bit of salt and pepper onto each piece of meat.
- Add all the ingredients for the sauce to your fireproof pan or potjie and let this simmer until it becomes sticky and like a syrup.
- Butter or oil the sliced rolls and toast on the grid, taking care not to over-toast (burn) them.
- Build the burger, roll, mayonnaise, cabbage pork neck steaks, yakitori sauce, roll.
SHARE THIS RECIPE