The great thing about the braai is that you can make any food on the fire. This schnitzel recipe is based on the original from Germany where it was made on a stove but as always, everything is better around a fire! Feeds 4.
- 4 pork loin steaks of about 1 cm thick
- 1 egg beaten
- 250 ml breadcrumbs, fresh or toasted
- 250 ml flour
- Salt and pepper
- Combination of olive oil and butter for frying
- Mustard and fresh lemon slices for serving
- Place the pork steaks on a flat surface, get a rolling pin, wine bottle or anything with enough weight. Use cling wrap and place a layer on top of the meat to protect them and keep them intact while you hit them with your rolling pin, flattening the steaks and making them even all over.
- Now construct your work station. Season the flour with salt and pepper and place in a flat bowl. Place the beaten egg in another bowl and the breadcrumbs in a bowl. Start to coat your steaks by first rolling them around in the seasoned flour, then dip them in the egg and lastly cover the steaks with breadcrumbs making sure everything is covered.
- Heat a combination of oil and butter in your pan and fry the steaks for 2 to 3 minutes turning often making sure it does not burn. The steaks are thin hence they will be done very quickly.
- Remove from the heat and serve this work of art dish with mustard, fresh lemons and a side dish of potato salad.
SHARE THIS RECIPE