WHAT YOU NEED:
- rib eye steak (about 800 – 1kg in total so that each serving can be about 200g each)
- 4 whole marrow bones, cut lengthways
- salt and pepper
- Big bunch of fresh thyme ( you will use this as a brush)
- 125 ml butter
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped and crushed)
FOR THE MASH:
- 4 potatoes, cut into blocks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 whole head of garlic
- ½ cup (125ml) fresh cream
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tots salted butter
- 1 punnet mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tot brandy (optional)
- fresh rocket leaves
- slices of parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- First make your mash, cook your potatoes in salt water until very soft.
- Place the garlic head in the fire and let this roast while the potatoes are cooking. Remove the garlic from the fire after about 20 minutes and squeeze out the soft inside of the garlic and keep aside.
- Drain the potatoes and add the cream, garlic and butter and mash and mix this all together.
- Fry the onion and mushroom in olive oil and add the brandy, let this fry until all the moisture is gone and well cooked. Add the mushrooms to mash potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Season the marrow bones with salt and pepper and braai for 2 minutes on the flesh side of the over very hot coals to give it some charred colour and taste. Turn around and place a twig of thyme on top and let this simmer with the marrow side up until it is warm and bubbly.
- While this is going, braai your steak over hot coals for 7 – 10 minutes. When you reach the end of your braai, melt the butter and garlic together in a pot or pan and use your thyme brush to brush the steaks with garlic butter.
- Using your meat thermometer take the meat of to rest once it reaches an internal temperature of 52’C. Let the meat rest for at least 6 minutes or more.
- Use a sharp knife and cut the steak into strips against the grain at an angle of 45 ‘. Place these strips into a bowl and scrape out the marrow of 2 bones onto the meat and mix this so that the meat gets covered with the marrow. Also season the meat with salt and black pepper.
- Plate your dish: Place a big spoonful of mash on your plate. Place the steak that was mixed with marrow on top of the mash. Place the rocket on the side, drizzle with olive oil and slices of cheese. And serve each plate with their own marrow bone to add to their steak.
SHARE THIS RECIPE