WHAT YOU NEED:
FOR THE ROOSTERKOEK:
- 1kg cake or bread flour
- 1 tot salt
- 1 x packet instant yeast
- 850 ml lukewarm water
FOR THE BRAAIED CHICKEN LIVER PATE:
- 1 tub (250g) chicken livers
- olive oil for frying
- 1 onion (chopped finely)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped and crushed)
- salt and pepper
- sprig of fresh thyme
- ½ cup port
- 2 tots butter (at room temperature)
- 1 tot fresh cream
- Jan Braai peri peri sauce
- fresh thyme
- Rinse the chicken livers under cold water and clean all the loose edges if necessary.
- Heat the oil in your pan and fry the onion until soft, add the garlic and chicken livers, and season with salt and pepper. Fry the liver properly until cooked and the edges start to get brown and crispy.
- Use your tongs and remove just the chicken livers from the pan, leaving all the juice and onion inside the pan. Add the thyme and port to this pan and “deglaze” the pan, this means to get all the good bits at the bottom from the pan and let this simmer and reduce for a few minutes.
- Place the chicken livers in a food blender, add the pan juices and blend until smooth.
- Next, add the butter and blend again until smooth.
- Lastly add the cream and blend, taste and add salt if needed.
- Place the chicken liver mixture into a bowl (or small separate bowls if you want to give each guest their own portion.) Cover with cling film and let it rest overnight in the fridge.
- For the Roosterkoek: Mix the flour, salt and yeast together, add the water and use a wooden spoon to bring this together. Knead your dough to a smooth dough. Place in a bowl, cover with cling wrap and let this rise to double the volume.
- Flour a surface and stretch out the dough using your hands into a big flat disk of dough. Use a dough cutter or a very sharp knife and cut the disk into smaller pieces to form your roosterkoek. Dust with more flour as you see fit to keep matters under control.
- Bake your roosterkoek over medium heat, turning them often, the roosterkoek must be crisp and hard on the outside and soft and cooked on the inside.
- Serve the roosterkoek with the chicken liver pate and a drizzle of Jan Braai peri peri sauce and fresh thyme
SHARE THIS RECIPE