Ingredients (serves 4)
- rump steak for 4 people
- Cape Herb & Spice Texan steakhouseFOR THE SAUCE
- 1 onion (very finely chopped or even grated)
- 3 tots chopped parsley
- 1 tot oregano (fresh and chopped, or dried)
- 1 tot chopped garlic
- ½ tot salt
- ½ tot paprika
- 1 tsp chilli (fresh and chopped, or powder – more or less to taste)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tots red wine vinegar
- black pepper
1. Wash the fresh herbs well so that there’s no sand in your sauce.
2. Combine all the ingredients, except for the oil, vinegar and black pepper, using a pestle and mortar. If you don’t have a pestle and mortar then put them in a bowl, mix them very well and make a note to go and buy a pestle and mortar.
3. Pour the oil and vinegar into a jar or bowl, add the other well-mixed ingredients and stir thoroughly. Now cover the sauce and let it stand for at least an hour before you use it; a day or two is even better. This gives the flavours time to ‘develop’.
4. Add black pepper and possibly more salt to taste.
5. Light a massive wood fire and season the rump steak with Cape Herb & Spice both sides just before the braai.
6. Braai over very hot coals for about 8 minutes in total until medium rare.
7. Let the steak rest for a few minutes then cut into strips, hitting the steak with the knife blade at a 45° angle.
8. Drizzle the chimichurri sauce over the steak strips and serve.
Almost all ingredients of chimichurri sauce are optional so if there is something you don’t have or don’t like, leave it out. In the same way, if there is something you want to add, do so. This is your opportunity to create a personalised sauce, tailor-made for your taste buds.
SHARE THIS RECIPE