FOR THE SRI LANKAN CURRY SPICE:
- 2 teaspoon Coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoon Cumin
- 2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 5 whole black Peppercorns
- 3 Cardamom pods
- 3 whole cloves
FOR THE CURRY PASTE:
- 1 tot olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (crushed and chopped)
- fresh ginger, grated (same amount as the garlic)
- 4 curry leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tots Sri Lankan curry powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ tot paprika
- 1 sachet tomato paste
- 1 tot brown sugar
- 1 tin coconut milk
FOR THE ROOSTERKOEK NAAN
- 1kg cake or bread flour
- 1 tot salt
- 1 x packet instant yeast
- 850 ml lukewarm water
- 125 ml butter
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped and crushed
- chicken thighs, lamb blocks, prawns, chopped vegetables of your choice
- fresh coriander for garnish
- Place all the spices for the Sri Lankan curry mixture in a fireproof pan and roast dry for a few minutes, be careful not to burn the spices, it should just toast and brown a bit. Use a mortar and pestle to grind this fine or place in a grinder.
- Heat the olive oil in your potjie and fry the onion until soft. Add the garlic, ginger and all the rest of the spices and fry until fragrant about 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste, sugar, salt and pepper and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, stirr everything together properly and let it simmer for about 10 minutes
- Place your choice of meat or vegetables on skewers and season with salt and pepper and braai over hot coals until cooked and nicely charred and got the extra smokey taste from the fire..
- Make the roosterkoek: Mix the flour, salt and yeast together, add the water and use a wooden spoon to bring this together. Use extra flour on the surface and lightly knead your dough to bring this together to a smooth dough. Place in a bowl, cover with cling wrap and let this rise to double the volume.
- Once again on your floured surface take the dough and stretch it out using your hands into a big flat disk of dough that is the size of your grid. Stretch and roll the dough out so it will fit inside your entire grid. Braai over medium coals, turning often until cooked, and hard and hollow on the outside. Melt the butter and garlic in a pan and brush the roosterkoek with the butter all over while still on the fire.
- Serve the curry with the meat of your choice, fresh coriander and pieces of butter naan roosterkoek.
SHARE THIS RECIPE