This recipe is a nice party trick to serve with your steak at the next braai. Instead of the usual pepper or cheese sauce, use the rich taste of marrow to compliment your steak. Feeds 4.
- 4 marrow bones, cut lengthways
For the sauce:
- 1 Onion, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tots dijon mustard
- 1 tot sherry or sweet dessert wine
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Light a big fire and start prepping your marrow bones. Braai the marrow bones with the flesh side down for 3 – 4 minutes. Turn the marrow bones around and braai with the flesh side upwards. Season with salt and pepper and braai until the marrow starts to bubble and cook.
- Remove from the braai and scrape braaied marrow from the bones into your pan.
- Heat your pan and fry onion&garlic until soft with the marrow.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the dijon mustard and muscadel or sherry. Let this simmer for a few minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup white wine and 1/2 cup beef stock and let this sauce simmer and reduce until nice and thick and rich, while you braai your steak.
- Slice your steak into strips and serve the steak dressed with the sauce.
SHARE THIS RECIPE