This is comfort food at its best! Serve it as a main meal or as a side to your boerewors or steak braai. Also note that I make this risotto in my own way, you first make a soup full of flavour, then add the risotto rice, and then let it simmer until thick and creamy.
- 1 tot olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tin tomato puree
- 1 tin cherry tomatoes
- 500 ml chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup Risotto rice
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat the oil in your potjie and fry the onion and garlic for a few minutes. Add the tomato puree and cherry tomatoes and this simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, season with salt and pepper and let the soup simmer for 10 minutes for the flavours to develop.
- Add the cup of risotto, stir, and cover with the lid.
- Let this pot simmer for 30 – 40 minutes until the risotto is thick and creamy and all the liquid is absorbed. You have to ift the lid and stir every 4 to 6 minutes, to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the potjie.
- When you are happy with the consistency of the risotto, add the cheese, and mix well.
- Serve with fresh basil, black pepper and your favourite braai food.
SHARE THIS RECIPE