- 500g lean beef mince
- salt and pepper
- 1 punnet brown mushrooms (small) chopped finely
- olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped and crushed)
- 1 punnet (you need 4) big as possible braai mushroom
- 1 punnet white button mushrooms (sliced)
For the sauce:
- 2 tots salted utter
- 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1 tot Bovril of OXO
- 1 tot brandy
- 1 cup fresh cream
- Fresh hamburger rolls
For the patties:
- Chop the mushrooms as small and fine as you can and fry in your pan on the fire with olive oil and garlic. Fry this until it is cooked through and dry.
- Let this cool down and then add the fried mushrooms to your beef mince, make sure the mushrooms are mixed through. Divide the mince into 4 and shape into a burger pattie using a patty press or your hands.
- Make the sauce: Melt the butter in your pan or potjie on the fire, add the black pepper and let this melt and braai for about 2 minutes.
- Add the bovril and brandy, mix this well and then add the cream. Let this simmer gently and season with more salt and pepper if needed but it should be ok. Once the sauce is thick and nice and glossy you are ready to go.
- Braai your patties over hot coals for about 8 – 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- On the side, braai your big braai mushrooms over hot coals until soft. You can add garlic butter to your mushrooms if you feel like adding more flavour.
- Build your burger: start with your big braai mushroom at the bottom of the bun , followed by the mushroom patty and then pour sauce over. Add slices of fresh button mushroom on top and close the burger.
SHARE THIS RECIPE