The Braai pie is a revolution that started a few years ago, and you can keep innovating and reinventing this great concept you braai.
- 1 packet of puff pastry (defrosted, there are 2 layers inside)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tin pilchards, in chilli sauce
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup olives, pitted
- 2 rounds feta cheese, crumbled
- fresh oregano
- Place your braai grid on a flat surface and place one layer of puff pastry very gently on your grid.
- Start with a layer of cheese on top of the puff pastry. Then place pieces of pilchards on top of the cheese, Use your braai tongs to break it up into smaller pieces and distribute it all over the puff pastry.
- Top the pilchards with sliced red onion and olives.
- Crumble the feta cheese over everything and season with salt, pepper, and fresh oregano.
- Place the other layer of puff pastry on top, and use your fingers to close the edges gently of the braai pie. Close the braai grid very gently.
- Braai the braai pie over very gentle heat and treat it the same as a braaibroodjie, turning often. The puff pastry will slowly turn brown, toasted, and crispy.
- Remove from the fire and place on a chopping board and cut into smaller pieces.
SHARE THIS RECIPE