- 4 crayfish tails
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
FOR THE GNOCCHI:
- 1 kg (about 6) potatoes
- 1 egg
- 2 cups white bread or cake flour
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tot fresh chives (chopped)
TO FRY THE GNOCCHI IN
- olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped and crushed)
FOR THE SAUCE:
- Jan Braai peri peri sauce
- french style mayonnaise
- fresh chives for garnish
- Make the gnocchi: Bake the potatoes in your gasbraai or oven. You don’t need to add oil or salt, as you just want the soft cooked inside in the end.
- Once cooked, let the potatoes cool down and peel off the skins and mash the soft inside of the potatoes very finely with a masher or a fork. Add the egg to the cooled-down mashed potatoes and stir it in with a fork until everything is mixed.
- Now wash your hands and add the parmesan cheese, chives and one cup of flour, then properly mix it into the mashed potatoes with a clean hand. Next, add the other cup of flour and properly mix that into the mashed potatoes as well.
- Once you have a firm, soft piece of ‘potato dough’, take a ball or chunk of dough at a time and roll it into a sausage shape on a floured cutting board. Basically, each piece should look like pieces of lily-white, thin boerewors.
- Now cut the potato dough sausages into smaller pieces of about 2 cm each and gently roll each piece in flour. You need to coat each piece lightly in flour, otherwise they will all stick to each other.
- Get a pot of water boiling on the fire. Add the gnocchi to the boiling pot of water.The gnocchi will cook very quickly, in about a minute or two. Each individual one will start to float on the surface as soon as it’s ready.
- Scoop the cooked gnocchi into a strainer, or use a slotted spoon and let them rest in a plate.
- Heat the oil and garlic in your pan and fry the gnocchi on both sides until brown and crisp.
- Cut the tails in half with a very sharp knife or scissor and drizzle olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Braai the tails over hot coals, first with the flesh side facing the heat, and then for a few minutes longer with the flesh side facing upwards,
- Mix the Jan Braai Peri Peri Sauce with the mayonnaise.
- Serve the gnocchi at the bottom of your plate, top with the crayfish and a serving of your Peri mayo. Dress the dish with the melted butter that you fried the gnocchi in and sprinkle over fresh chives.
SHARE THIS RECIPE