When it comes down to it, a breakfast braai is just like any other braai later in the day; it just happens at sunrise. For a really impressive breakfast braai, you need to serve some really impressive things cooked on the fire. The thing about making your own muesli like this is that it looks and tastes better than anything store-bought but more importantly, you can enjoy it hot off the fire
- 2 cups oats
- 2 tots butter
- 1 packet mixed nuts (100g, unsalted)
- 2 tots sunflower seeds
- 2 tots desiccated coconut
- ½ cup honey
- juice of 1 orange fresh fruit
- plain yoghurt (to serve)
- Heat the butter in your pot until bubbly, add the oats and stir so that all the oats is coated. Stir continuously so that it does not burn, and toast for about 3 minutes.
- Add the nuts, seeds, and coconut and toast for another 2 minutes. Keep stirring the mixture while it is toasting until everything is brown and smelling great. If at any stage during the process you genuinely want to, you may add a bit more butter but it’s usually not necessary. Nuts burn much more easily than oats so pay attention. If there are a few unroasted nuts in your meal that is fine and perfect. If there are burnt ones it’s not so ideal so err on the side of caution and rather halt the process sooner rather than later.
- As the nuts get colour, drizzle the honey over everything and also add the orange juice. Stir the muesli with your wooden spoon, aiming to have an even distribution of the honey mixture. This will be a bit sticky, but just keep going as the honey will heat up and then spread more easily.
- Once you’re happy with the look and feel of the muesli, serve it with fresh fruit and yogurt and berries.
SHARE THIS RECIPE